Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Please note: Children’s Wisconsin recently made a security software change and access to many of MCW Libraries’ electronic resources from the Children’s Wisconsin network is currently blocked. MCW Libraries is aware of the situation and is currently testing new models of access. To access resources blocked on the Children's Wisconsin network, login with your OpenAthens credentials, register for an OpenAthens account, or view more information.
Many resources for finding health statistics are available at MCW Libraries. Finding statistics is often a difficult process for various reason:
- The needed statistics may not have been collected by anyone.
- Since it takes time to compile statistics, the data available may be several years old.
- Data can be calculated or collated using various methods.
Most statistical data never make it into books and reports. However, statistical data is more commonly published in journal articles. Locating these statistics through databases such as PubMed/Medline and CINAHL can be difficult and challenging.
- Helpful Medline Keywords: "statistics and numerical data," epidemiology, mortality, morbidity, incidence, prevalence or population surveillance
- Helpful CINAHL Keywords: epidemiology, disease surveillance, disease registries, morbidity, mortality, or epidemiological research
- Books focusing on specific topics are available. Search MCW Libraries' Catalog using a keyword for your topic and the word "statistics" or "SAS" or "statistical analysis."
Finding and Using Health Statistics
"This course describes the range of available health statistics, identifies their sources and helps you understand how to use information about their structure as you search." From the National Library of Medicine.
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226