Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Please note: Children’s Wisconsin recently made a security software change and access to many of MCW Libraries’ electronic resources from the Children’s Wisconsin network is currently blocked. MCW Libraries is aware of the situation and is currently testing new models of access. To access resources blocked on the Children's Wisconsin network, login with your OpenAthens credentials, register for an OpenAthens account, or view more information.
Registering for Virtual Critical Care Rounds Courses
Access to the courses at the Medical College of Wisconsin, Froedtert Health, and Children's Hospital and Health System is funded by Froedtert Health Organizational Learning and managed by MCW Libraries. Any Medical College of Wisconsin, Froedtert Health, or Children's Hospital of Wisconsin faculty, staff, resident, or student may register to use the learning modules.
Please see the System Requirements page for a link to the Student Guide and important browser settings information. Chrome is the preferred browser for accessing all of the online courses.
1. Sign up for a Free Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) Account:
- Visit the Society of Critical Care Medicine website in order to sign up for a free account. Click on "Sign Up Free" in the upper right corner of the page under "Log In."
- Enter your name and email address (must be MCW, Froedtert, CHW email address)
- You may be presented with a list of previously registered users that have names similar to yours. If you have previously registered for an account, you may see your name on the list and you can indicate that the previously registered account is yours. If none of the previously registered accounts is yours, just click on "create a new profile." If you are not presented with a list of names similar to yours, you will be sent directly to the form on which you input your information.
- Fill out the form, being careful to input all required fields (marked with a star). You must enter an address even though it is not starred.
- After completing the free login registration process, you will be sent an email thanking you for creating a login with the Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM). In that message, you will be assigned a numerical username. Save that message for future reference and be sure to keep track of your numerical username.
2. Complete this registration form.
When filling out the form, use the same institutional email address used to create the account above. You must complete the SCCM account prior to completing the form. Allow up to 7 days for access confirmation to the SCCM VCCR.
To access the VCCR modules in the future:
- Go to http://www.sccm.org/
- In the upper right corner, enter your numerical user ID and password and click “login.”
- Click on the “My SCCM” tab and then “My Learning” in the ribbon.
- Click on the module which you wish to work on and you will be taken to the LearnICU classroom.
- Click on the appropriate class name or “Resume” button to resume the module.
If you have trouble registering for VCCR, please contact Amanda Gross, or the SCCM via email or by phone at (847) 827-6888.
The Society of Critical Care Medicine has two online courses called Virtual Critical Care Rounds. Virtual Critical Care Rounds (VCCR) are designed to better prepare residents and students to contribute to the diagnosis and management of the critically ill patient during their intensive care unit rounds. Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to recognize emergent conditions and describe appropriate interventions, analyze case scenarios and explain treatment options, and recommend treatment strategies for critically ill patients based on medical history, physical examination and diagnostic data.
Virtual Critical Care Rounds I
Virtual Critical Care Rounds II
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support and the Rapid Response Team
- Airway Assessment and Management
- Antibiotics in the ICU
- Basic Mechanical Ventilation
- Critical Care Aspects of Hepatic Failure
- Critical Care for Older Adults
- Healthcare-Associated Infections in the ICU
- ICU Orientation
- Immediate Management of Burn Injury
- Medical Errors
- Organ Donation
- Palliative Care in the ICU: An Integrated Approach
- Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics
- Transfusion Medicine in the ICU
- Trauma Script
- Acid-Base Balance Disorders
- Acute Kidney Injury in the ICU
- Arrhythmias in the ICU
- Assessing Fluid Balance in the ICU
- Basic Mechanical Ventilation 1
- Mechanical Ventilation 2
- Cardiogenic Shock
- Ethics in the ICU
- Hemorrhagic Shock
- ICU Delirium
- Endocrine Emergencies
- Infections in Critically Ill Patients and Appropriate Antimicrobial Selection
- Management of Bleeding Related to Antithrombotic Therapy
- Neurologic Emergencies
- Nutrition Therapy and Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis
- Pain, Agitation, and Delirium Management in Adult ICU Patients
- Sepsis and Septic Shock
- Spinal Cord Emergencies
- Venous Thromboembolism in the ICU
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226