Skip to Main Content
As a result of Children’s Wisconsin’s new security protocol, all users on the CW network will need to register for an OpenAthens account to access library resources (including UpToDate, VisualDx, etc.) via the library webpage. Click here to register for an OpenAthens account or view more information.
How do I find the full text of an article?
Looking to see if MCW Libraries provides access to a journal article?
Learn how to use PubMed LinkOut, our Library Catalog, and Google Scholar to connect to the full text of an article, if we have access to it. If we don't you can easily order the article through our Request Materials service.
Search PubMed LinkOut
Use PubMed LinkOut to verify citation information and to see if MCW Libraries has access to the full text of the article.
- Copy and paste the article title into the search box. If you find too many results, put quotation marks around the article ttile.
- Look for the "Get It from MCW Libraries" buttons. Clicking this button will either take you to the full text of the article or you will will have the option to request the article from the library using our Request Materials service.
Search our Library Catalog
Our library catalog and discovery system, not only lists books and journal titles in our collection, but you can also search for article titles.
- Enter the exact title of the article you are looking for into the search box and click search. We recommend putting quotation marks around the title so that the title gets searched it as a phrase.
- Your article should show up at the top of the search results. Click the View PDF or View Full Text button to either connect to the full text of the article, or if we don’t have a subscription for electronic access, you have the option to request the article from the library using our Request Materials service.
Search Google Scholar
If you are using an MCW computer network or a staff network at Froedtert or CHW, links to Get It From MCW Libraries links should show up automatically in a Google Scholar search. If you are off campus or using a public network, it's easy to turn on the Get It From MCW Libraries links. View a short video to learn how.
- Enter the exact title of the article you are looking for into Scholar and click search. Be sure to put quotation marks around the title so that Scholar searches it as a phrase.
- Click the Get It From MCW Libraries link to either connect to the full text of the article, or if we don’t have a subscription for electronic access, you can order it through our Request Materials service.
How do I get access to books and articles that aren't immediately available?
While MCW Libraries has a substantial collection of journal and book subscriptions, you will come across items that aren't immediately available online. If we don't have the requested item in our collection, we'll do our best to find it through interlibrary loan (ILL). For MCW affiliates, resources can often be obtained for free or at a lower cost that what a publisher may charge.
We use Clio to manage interlibrary loan requests. Learn more about Clio.
Requesting articles is made easy by using the Get It From MCW Libraries button, which can be found in many of the databases we subscribe too.
8701 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226